Web site logo c. 123-mcc.com

 Photo Gallery



Great Malvern library and war memorial

Library

Great Malvern library was opened in 1906. The library was built on a water meadow just below Graham Road given to the town by Henry Foley Lambert Grey.

Andrew Carnegie, the philanthropist, donated 5,000 and CW Dyson Perrin 3,000.

Malvern library viewed from the old entrance in Graham Road

The Malvern war memorial was erected in the front of the library in 1923 and the frontage along Graham Road was given an uplift in 2009 when the hedge was replaced by railings and steps built up from the memorial to a new entrance in Graham Road. Disabled parking spaces were also provided at the north entrance

Great Malvern library and war memorial viewd from the steps at the new entrance

Great Malvern war memorial

War memorial

The war memorial was designed by the sculptor Richard Reginald Goulden (1877 - 1932), who designed many memorials after the Great War

The figure is of a winged youth holding up a flaming torch

The base of the memorial, which is now difficult to read, is inscribed,

TO THOSE

WHO NOBLY SERVED

1914 - 1919

The roll of honour listing the men of Malvern who fell in the world wars can be found in the library.

Further information can be found on the Malvern Remembers website.

Mobile library

The mobile library provides a service to people in outlying villages, visiting every three weeks. Contact Malvern library for timetable.

Mobile library vanEmail enquiries should be made to Malvern Library

malvernmobile@worcestershire.gov.uk

If you can't get to the van, books can be renewed on-line and by phone..

Sometimes renewing books over the internet does not work. In that case call the help desk and ask them to contact the library in Malvern who can usually fix the problem

To contact the library by telephone dial: 01905 822 722.  This number puts you through to the main library help desk in Worcester, where books can be renewed over the phone.