Web site logo c. 123-mcc.com

 Photo Gallery

Stokes Bay near Gosport in Hampshire

In June 2012 we visited Gosport for the wedding of a nephew and stayed in a B&B at Stokes Bay which has a shingle beach, facing the Isle of Wight.

Here are some plaques we found relating to the Second World War, the old Gosport Grammar School and David Bogue who was a respected member of the Independent Free Church and is buried nearby at St Mary Alverstoke where many of the family were married..

Stokes Bay looking towards IOW

The Windbrake House Hotel

Windbrake House Hotel

We stayed at the Windbrake House Hotel in Palmerston Way  which advertises 'luxurious' B&B. We were not disappointed. The hotel backs onto Stanley Park close to the Alverbank Hotel and is not far from the site of the old Gosport Grammar School at Bay House.

Our hosts said the Windbrake was built in 1936 and taken over by HMS Porcupine for coordinating the construction of the Mulberry Harbours at Stokes Bay.

 During WWII Rosemary's father was with the Royal Artillery and for a time stationed with the anti aircraft guns at Stokes Bay before being posted to North Africa.

The Mulberry Harbour Memorial

Mulberry Harbour memorial at Stokes BayWe walked along the sea front at Stokes Bay and found a number of plaques and memorials relating to the last war, including this one remembering the people who worked on the Mulberry Harbours.

It reads,

This plaque commemorates the 60th anniversary of the building along this shore of 14 concrete caissons (code named Phoenix) and the associated pier heads from October 1943 to April 1944. These formed part of the walls and floating piers of the Mulberry Harbours which were a major contribution of the success of Operation Overlord and the ending of the Second World War.

A close up of the inscription on the memorial is shown below.

The Sailing Club plaque

The sailing club at Stkes Bay

On the wall of the Sailing Club you will find another plaque.which reads,

D Day Control Centre PlaqueD-DAY CONTROL CENTRE

This building was used in June 1944 as a Loading Control Centre for the D-Day embarkation.

This plaque was unveiled by the Mayor of Gosport Cllr Mrs M Bailey in 1996.

Click to go to next page

Back to top